Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
TaxJar’s remote-only team of almost 50 people is growing quickly. We have an immediate opening for a Ruby Software Engineer who wants to help us make ecommerce easier for everyone.
A little bit about us....TaxJar is the leading technology solution for busy eCommerce sellers to manage sales tax and is trusted by more than 10,000 businesses.
Our core values
- We do the right thing for our customers.
- We're a team, built on trust.
- We're proud to be remote.
- We're in control of our own destiny.
We want you to join one of our product engineering teams and help us build a product our customers love. The product engineering team at TaxJar is solving complex problems on a daily basis, supporting our growing customer base and creating new solutions in a complex domain. We deal with large datasets, complex frequently-changing sales tax rules, and automating complex processes for thousands of business customers.
As a Rails Developer at TaxJar you will
- Write strong Ruby on Rails code daily
- Be challenged to solve new problems
- Review and test your teammates pull requests
- Contribute to and maintain our existing Rspec test suites
- Maintain and update our sales tax reporting application
- Build out apps and services for managing thousands of sales tax rules
- Help with improving and scaling our SmartCalcs API
- Work with Rails, Elixir, Vue.js, Heroku, Postgres, Sidekiq, Magento, WooCommerce, and more
- Help monitor and support 24/7 Rails applications and services
- Spend time working the customer success inbox. Our employees, even the CEO, spend time doing this - we’re all in it together.
This is a full-time remote position, available to folks located in the US.
- 3+ years production experience with: Rails 4, Postgres, Sidekiq
- Ability to write clear and accurate tests using RSpec/Capybara
- Write code that is maintainable and readable by your team
- Be accountable for the code you deliver to production
- Manage development tasks from assignment through to production
- Agile, humble, trustworthy, and a team player
- Rapid learner who thrives in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Passion for building simple and intuitive solutions for complex problems in ecommerce
- Prior SaaS development, API development or similar app dev experience
- Excel at communicating with the team remotely (chat, video, email, etc)
You’ll be a great fit on our team if you
- Only want to work remotely
- Are a PRO at communicating and collaboration
- Highly value working with people you like and respect
- Are accountable
- Are confident in your skills and a solid team player (We’re peers here, no egos please) but also comfortable working asynchronously
- Hungry to play an impactful role and not afraid to fail
We’re a happy team and we all really love what we do. We've created a space where high-achievers can succeed, but are also safe to fail. We're profitable and focused on growing TaxJar sustainably. We're always learning how to make TaxJar the best place to work for all of us, and not just another tech startup. We’re always looking for an amazing new teammates to come share in the excitement of solving real-world problems with technology.
- Excellent health, vision and dental benefits
- Flexible vacation policy (we’ll actually pay you $500 a year to take time off!)
- $1,000 in professional development credit
- Home office stipend
- Equity in a profitable company
- 2x year all-company in person retreats (fully paid for by us of course)
- Brand new Macbook computer
- Mandatory Birthday holiday!
- 12 week paid maternity/ 6 week paid paternity leave
- Monthly perks reimbursement for things like Netflix, Amazon Prime, your gym membership, home internet and more.
We offer all of our employees amazing benefits. Visit www.TaxJar.com/jobs for a full list of our benefits and to learn more about how we work and what we stand for.
If you're not the perfect fit for this position, but you know someone who is, we'll pay you $1,000 if you refer us to the person we hire.