Sales Tax Research Analyst
TaxJar has an immediate opening for an enthusiastic, experienced, and analytical Sales Tax Research Analyst who is fanatical about helping SMB businesses save time on sales tax.
This is a full-time remote position, available to folks located in the continental US only.
TaxJar is the leading technology solution for busy eCommerce sellers to manage sales tax and is trusted by more than 10,000 businesses. We were founded to help eCommerce owners spend less time on sales tax and more time growing the businesses they love. We’re passionate about creating simple solutions and leveraging technology to solve complicated sales tax issues. We're not just about sales tax though, we're a technology-driven company focused on providing a great experience for both merchants and developers.
We offer TaxJar Reports , a simple web-based reporting tool that organizes sales tax data into return-ready reports by state; AutoFile, a service that automatically files sales tax returns; and SmartCalcs API, a modern, accurate, sales tax API for developers to outsource sales tax rates and calculations. For developers, we have created an helpful API demo environment and also are fanatics about creating and maintaining great API documentation.
We’re a happy team and we all really love what we do. We've created a space where high-achievers can succeed, but are also safe to fail. We're profitable and focused on growing TaxJar sustainably. We're always learning how to make TaxJar the best place to work for all of us, and not just another tech startup. We’re always looking for an amazing new teammates to come share in the excitement of solving real-world problems with technology.
As a Sales Tax Research Analyst you will:
- Monitor sales, use tax and VAT rules and rate changes for all regions supported by TaxJar
- Confirm and document definitive sourcing rules for all transaction types supported by TaxJar
- Build and maintain a database of product-level exemptions and reduced rates
- Research, confirm and document the taxability of shipping and handling
- Maintain up-to-date sales tax holiday information
- Identify publicly available data sources and help create process to efficiently update changes within TaxJar’s systems
- Work directly with the product development team to improve maintainability of data
- Communicate directly with states and local municipalities where necessary
- Training in accounting or finance-related field
- 2+ years of experience in a tax-related field, preferable sales and use tax and VAT
- Prior experience dealing with US state departments of revenue a big plus
- Superior attention to detail…in this field, it’s critical
- Clear, concise writer
- Strong process and documentation skills
- Self-directed, self-motivated
- Excel at communicating with the team remotely (chat, video, email, etc).
- Experienced with Microsoft Excel formulas and other online communication tools
You’ll be a great fit on our team if you're
- A pro at communicating
- Well-experienced working remotely
- Never tired of learning
- Looking for a culture that prioritizes shipping products and going to market quickly
- Confident in your skills and a solid team player (We’re all peers here, no egos please)
- Hungry to play an impactful role and not afraid to fail
- Excited to be part of the company leading innovation in the sales tax space
We offer all of our employees amazing benefits. Visit www.TaxJar.com/jobs for a full list of our benefits and to learn more about how we work and what we stand for.